Monday, August 29, 2011

A&J Restaurant

Where Chinese breakfast (e: & brunch) is concerned, I think Cantonese dim sum can beat up Taiwanese breakfast any day. But with some convincing the food is starting to grow on me. In this area A&J is the place to go if you're craving many variations of fried dough and sweet soy milk, among other non breakfast dishes. You have to come in the weekend to enjoy the full breakfast menu. They have a location in VA as well, but I hear the MD one is superior. We came in for brunch and feasted happily. I think this trip just upgraded A&J to my cubby of favorites!

Fried dough stick w/ sweet soy bean milk

Too bad I recently developed an allergy to soy. But the temporary itchy throat is still worth it.

Sticky Rice Roll (Fan Tuan)

Something about this is so satisfying. It looks small but it's really dense; packed with sticky rice, dried pork, fried dough, and pickled vegetable.

Pot Stickers

If you like meaty dumplings, you'll like these pot stickers.

Seaweed and beansprouts in garlic, vinegar sauce

A really light and tasty side to go with the heavier dishes.

Steamed pork bun

I tried this for kicks and it was disappointing. The meat was disturbingly red, and not soupy at all.

Minced pork with egg over rice

I love this dish here. The meat is seasoned better than most places I've tried.

Fried pork chop over rice

Not over fried and dry like other ones I've had.

Sour cabbage with pork strips and bean thread noodle soup

Sour soup isn't for everyone, but I think it is fantastic!

Beef noodle soup

No thanks. The soup is so salty and the soy sauce flavor is really overpowering.


1319 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852 • 301.251.7878

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you Piggy, I like dim sum better too! But I think we are outnumbered in our family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo, that fan tuan looks awesome! i am not a fan of a&j's beef noodle soup either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm oily stick...gimme taiwanese breakfast anytime! stupid AJ not serving this on weekdays when we tried to go there last time. the porkchop looks good. man, now i'm craving for the sour cabbage soup too...thank thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  4. taiwanese breakfast isn't in the same category as dimsum. They are both good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yea PE! we have to stick together.

    b- they are both chinese breakfasts, hence same category! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. pink- are you gonna get huffy puffy every time i post something you can't get in bing? that's gonna be a lot of stuff :|

    ReplyDelete
  7. dimsum strikes me as more lunch food

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kind of think of dim sum as brunch/lunch too, but I'm OK with the breakfast comparison. Maybe its because I have dim sum too often in Flushing, but i LOOOVVEE Taiwanese breakfast, and nothing quite satisfies me the same way. Do they have good Niu Rou Bao Bing at A&J's? that's a must have for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A&J has Niu Rou Shao Bing (sesame biscuit with sliced beef). is that the same? What's your favorite Taiwanese breakfast place in ny?

    ReplyDelete