Friday, July 22, 2011

Jumbo Jumbo

There's something to be said about finding a favorite haunt where everybody knows your name, like Cheers. For me, it's finding a place where they know my order (who cares if they don't know my name?!) and make it exactly the way I like it. Jumbo Jumbo is one of those places for me. (Thai by Thai being the other)

My typical order:
Beef Noodle Soup

Tender beef, pickled veggies (where Jumbo Jumbo stands out versus other beef noodle soups), and not too salty/soy sauce-ish. Probably my favorite non-homemade beef noodle soup! You can also request extra spicyness to be added.

Taiwan Chicken

Spicy deep fried chicken morsels. A lot of NYC/CA bubble tea shops have similar chicken snacks, but not too many DC shops have them... why? I do not know.

I usually pair this with a large Jasmine Green Milk Tea with tapioca balls. Sorry, no pictures of the bubble tea. But Jumbo Jumbo has some of the best bubble tea in the area if you ask me!!

Warning: Jumbo Jumbo also goes by Bubble Express. In fact, that is the name that will appear outside on the shopping plaza.

765 E Rockville Pike, Rockville MD • 301.545.1708

7 comments:

  1. Hola, Piqqy Piggy!

    Redredday aka my sister in law referred me to this food blog! So glad that she did!

    Muscle man aka my husband loves beef noodle soup. we have to try Jumbo Jumbo soon ;)
    I also love Jasmine Milk Tea with bubbles.

    I wanted to pass you along the info for great korean buffet called Korshi. The interior of the restaurant is so nice, which is VERY rare for asian buffet restaurants. And, they got all you need, bbq at table, sushi, and etc..The best korean buffet in VA area. Hands down!

    here is the address:
    5728 Pickwick Rd Centreville, VA 20121
    I highly recommend it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Kazu! so nice to see you here :)). hey is that the same korean buffet we told you about? the one that is $10/pp after hours or something? the piqqy gang took us to that one before.

    i would really want some bubble tea right now. but isn't there still a recall from taiwan on those tapioca balls?
    http://benism.wordpress.com/2011/05/29/toxic-additives-force-mass-drink-recalls-in-taiwan/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kazu!

    It's hard to find bubble tea places that serve Jasmine tea. Let us know if you like it when you get a chance to check it out.

    Thanks for recommending the Korean buffet! I'll definitely be trying that soon.

    p.s. did you and muscle man ever go back to Yuraku after that one time we went together??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Konnichiwa, Piggy and Red

    The news about tapioca balls is not good for bubble tea lovers like me.

    We hit the Jumbo Jumbo last Sunday after reading your blog. We LOVED their bubble teas and the Taiwan Chicken : )

    Tapioca balls were soft and cheewy, the best bubble tea I ever had. Hands down!

    Muscle man and Kazu went back to Yuraku one time. We got the complementary fish head, but not egg pudding. I guess you need to order a lot to get the pudding??

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is Kazu, again.
    Just wanted to let u know that DC restaurant week is around the corner, August 15 to 21st.

    Got any recommendation for seafood or brunch restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes they run out of egg pudding, but make sure to ask next time. I'm not sure what their threshold is for freebies, mostly because we tend to over order every time.

    If you like crab cakes you should definitely try out G&M. maybe if you're planning to go to nyc sometime it's on the way up.

    my favorite breakfast/brunch place is original house of pancakes. but it's not a romantic date place if that's what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey kazu!

    Korshi! i must try this place! i love korean bbq, particularly kalbi. always looking for more options in the area!

    as for breakfast/brunch...

    i second piggy's oph (http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/)... i get pancakes, corned beef hash, 2 over easy eggs, homefries, and sausage (yes, i'm a pig... that's pretty much 1-2 entrees plus sides)!

    for a fancier breakfast, some old coworkers of mine recommended tabard inn (http://www.tabardinn.com/restaurant/menus/saturday_and_sunday_brunch) but i've yet to make it in on a weekend. the menu looks pretty tasty though!

    ReplyDelete