Friday, April 15, 2011

the hunt for scotch eggs

While on a business trip to San Francisco, I was introduced to scotch eggs!!

What exactly is a scotch egg? According to wikipedia, it is a hard boiled egg, wrapped in a sausage mixture, coated with breadcrumbs and deep-fried, originating from London.

Scotch Eggs

according to Wexlers - "Burnt Ends, House Made Hot Sauce, Sweet Tea Gastrique"

Look at that deep fried breading!  Look at the still runny yolk!!

Deep fried goodness! But where can I get this in DC you ask? I don't actually know! I've never stumbled upon it in any other restaurants! I've heard that a few Irish/British pubs (Againn DC and Royal Mile Pub) supposedly serve them, but I've yet to confirm that.

The rest of my meal:

Smoked Short Ribs with Apricots!

Very tender and flavorful. The apricots were not what I expected (in a good way!)

Pecan Pie

my friend ordered this.  I'm not a fan of pecan pie, but he looked like he was enjoying it!

568 Sacramento Street, San Francisco, SF • 415.983.0102 • www.wexlerssf.com

2 comments:

  1. when you said that scotch eggs originated in London, I immediately thought of Tea and Sympathy in NYC. They specialize in British fare, and do serve Scotch eggs on the menu. Maybe we can check it out next time you are in town =)
    http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com/restaurant.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo i must check out this place!! lots of interesting food on the menu! steak and guinness pie! sardines on toast! tweed kettle pie! i've never had authentic british cuisine!

    ReplyDelete